Wednesday, February 22, 2012

New PR!!!

This past weekend I ran a 2 mile race. I haven't yet broke a 10 minute mile so I was hoping I would be able to do it with this race. I really wanted to finish in 20 minutes. I was nervous though because a quarter mile of the race was on the beach, in the sand.

The weather was perfect for the race. Since it's February, I figured I would be freezing. It was mid 50s that day and sunny. I couldn't believe how many people were running this race.

Once the race started I had a pretty great pace. It was a little strange though for me. I am usually all the way at the end when I'm running. Very little people around me. This was the first time I was surrounded by tons of people. I was right smack in the middle of everyone. That felt pretty cool. I had initially thought the sand part wouldn't be until almost the end. It ended up being right in the middle. Which was probably better.

I have never ran in the sand before and holy crap was it difficult. My thighs were BURNING. I felt like molasses running. All I wanted to do was walk. But I pushed forward. Finally the sand ended. It took me about a minute before I could pick up my pace again. My legs were hurting bad.

Finally I could see the finish line. I really picked up my pace. I passed a bunch of people which made me feel good. lol. I couldn't believe my time when I crossed the finish line.

18:50!!!!!!!!

EEKKK!!!! I smashed my goal for getting a 10 minute mile. I was so overwhelmed I teared up a little bit. This time last year I could never ever imagine being able to run a mile under 10 minutes. My first 5K I've ever did was last May and I finished in 39:50. I've come so far in a short period of time. My next goal is to get my next 5K in under 30. With this past race I now know I can do it! YAY!



Here is a little picture of my gym family and I after the race. I right smack in the middle wearing a pink long sleeve shirt.

3 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Damn girl that is terrific!!!
Congratulations on the goal.
And the sand...it made my thighs burn just reading it. :-)

Queenie said...

Congrats!!!

erin - heart in ireland said...

congrats! that is soooo awesome! especially since it was on sand too!

you can totally get that 5k goal!