Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Leaving on a jet plane

In a few weeks I will be going to Jamaica!! While I really couldn’t be more excited, there is one thing that I have been freaking out about.

Layovers.

I HATE layovers and usually do everything in my power to avoid them at all costs. I’m the person who doesn’t mind spending extra money if it means having a direct flight. Unfortunately for this trip there are very few direct flights to Jamaica and the ones that were available were just too much money.

So now I will have an 1 and a half layover going there and a 3 and a half one coming home. Ugh. The good news is that I will have some company to help pass the time. It’s not so much the waiting that I mind, it’s that I have a huge fear of my luggage being lost or not making the plane.

I know that it probably won’t happen but here’s the thing. It’s happened to me before. The ONE other layover I’ve ever done and my luggage was left behind. I was coming home from studying abroad and I had a quick 45-minute layover in Dublin. When I was booking it I was so excited that it was only 45 minutes.

Little did I know though that 45 minutes is not enough time when you have to recheck in (again), go through security (again) and run across an entire airport. I running like that scene in Home Alone. Also when I got to the gate the flight attendant and a guard was waiting for me and yelled at me for being so late! It was so creepy because they new my name before I even showed my ticket. I guess when you check in and don’t board a plane a whole bunch of security measures have to be taken to make sure I wasn’t some crazy person trying to bomb a plane. Good Times.

Anyway I finally made it and was happy to be one my way. When I finally arrived to my destination I went happily to retrieve my luggage. After 30 minutes and no more bags left on the carousel I realized that my bags didn’t make it. 45 minutes is also not enough time for luggage to be transferred from plane to plane.

It took 3 days before I finally got them back! Since I was traveling internationally my luggage was detained and completely ransacked by customs. After that whole experience I pretty much vowed to never again do a layover.

Here I am 3 years later and I have to do a layover. Also I just found out that the airline now charges for checking luggage. WTF. I can understand charging for a second bag but the first one?? That’s just wrong.

Now I’m seriously considering trying to carry on. It would give me piece of mind about not losing anything and also I won’t have to pay an extra fee. However I am the worst packer ever! I’m the girl that packs enough clothes for a month for only a week trip.

Which is why I’m asking you for some packing tips!! I’m desperate! Or would you check your bags and hope for the best?

3 comments:

Karen said...

Having your luggage "lost" is not really a huge deal when you are returning from a trip. Big deal if it takes a few extra days when you are home and have other clothes and stuff. It is on the way there that I would worry. And I know you had bad luck, but a layover is not a huge deal. People do them every single day.

Good luck trying to carry on. Like you, I tend to over pack so there is no way I could do that for a week. Heck my shoes alone would fill a carry on!

Anonymous said...

Ugh. I have had my bags lost a few times and it's a pain. I would carry on as much as possible so if your bag does get lost, you'll still be able to enjoy your trip.

erin - heart in ireland said...

I'm a pro at carry on packing! I hated paying the ridiculous fees while in Europe, so I learned how to pack everything I needed into my little bag.

Bring everything you need to mix and match and you have to wear a few things twice. The only thing I hate it usually not having enough room for a hairdryer and the little 3oz rule!

I've been lucky with all my travels though never to have lost luggage.

Glad you had a good weekend last weekend with your friends :)