Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Road Trip

This past weekend was my brother’s engagement party. It was held in Virginia, which is about 4 and half hours away from where I live. Originally, I wanted to drive down on Friday to Baltimore to visit my friends and break up the driving a little bit. My mom was not having that. Instead I was forced to endure a car ride with my mom, brother, and 86-year-old grandmother. It was interesting. First my brother was pissed off to begin with. He didn’t want to go period, but had to because it’s his brother’s engagement party. To not make this more confusing, I am going to call my one bother B and the other, the one engaged, Beard.

Anyway, when B is in a pissy mood he is pretty much one of the worst people to be around. You pretty much just need to leave him alone until he starts to perk up a little bit. My mom and grandma did not seem to get that. My mother loves to provoke my brother and piss him off even more. I don’t know why she enjoys it so much, but she does. Then my grandma thought it would be a good idea to constantly poke my brother in the arm the entire car ride down, while asking him why he doesn’t like her anymore. Needless to say, he didn’t appreciate it. That was fun.

My Aunt and her daughters also decided to come along that weekend. Which I didn’t understand because it was her twin daughters birthday that day and I could not for the life of me understand why they would want to spend their day in a car to Virginia. So she followed us all the way down.

Eight people traveling on a road trip equals many many bathroom stops. Seriously, we stopped four times on our way down. Between 2 stops only 30 minutes had passed. How is that possible?!?! Every time we stopped it was a 15-minute ordeal. My grandma doesn’t understand how to get into a car properly. Instead of putting her foot in first and sitting down, she likes to try sitting down before putting her feet it. Every time she tried this and every time we had to tell her that it would never work that way.

After 4 plus hours in the car we finally arrive to the hotel. We are all starving so we just stop to a fast food restaurant. We got there a little early so there was some down time at the hotel. We all got ready and made our way to the Fiancée’s parent’s house. Let me just say it was a good thing we ate before hand. They really didn’t have a big spread. Some meats, veggies, bread and about 200 varieties of cheese were served. I am NOT exaggerating about the cheese. Everywhere you looked there was a different type of cheese. Don’t get me wrong I love cheese, but how much cheese did theses people expect us to eat??

For dessert they had cake, cookies and some “Italian pastries” for us. Which I find sweet that they made an attempt but, and no offense to anyone who lives in Virginia, that state does not know how to make Italian pastries. Their cannoli had cream cheese as the filling. My poor cousin was not expecting that and after she took a big bit of it, she looked like she might puke. That was actually really funny to watch.

However the family was very nice. It was good to finally meet everyone. Even though it was kinda awkward, people who knew each other stuck together and there wasn’t a lot of mingling, everyone was really sweet. Though at one point while I was getting a drink some of the younger girls that were there were commenting on how funny that all the Jersey people were in one room and they were in that room and blah blah blah. When I spoke up and informed them that I was one of those Jersey people, it defiantly broke the ice a little bit even though the one who said it looked embarrassed.

The party started at 4 so by 8:30 we were all ready to go. We left, stopped and got some food before returning to the hotel. We were all starving. We got 2 hotel rooms, my aunt her 2 girls and my grandma stayed in one room, we got rollaways brought up. In the other was me, my mom, the other cousin, and B. Let me just say that when my brother does get married I will be getting my own room. My mom and my brother are the LOUDEST snorers known to mankind. It was like they were having a competition with each other. Somehow my cousin slept though it. I one the other hand ended up getting maybe 2 hours of sleep that night.

We all wanted to leave as early as possible so we got a wake up call at 6:30, ate breakfast at 7 and were on the road on 8. The ride home was much better then going down. We made great time and only stopped once to use the bathroom! We got home by noon and I was able to spend the rest my last day off before work sleeping and lounging.

A while ago I made a list of things I wanted to do before I turned 25. One of them was to take a road trip. I guess you could count this as mine, but I wanted it to be a little more fun then what it was. All in all it was just so-so. I hope to have a do over soon!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Your own room is vital!! You are not a kid anymore who wants share a bed with your family. LOL. My step bro is getting married next month about 10 miles from my house and I got my own hotel room.

I mean, what if you want to hook up with a cute wedding guest??!

Alexandreena said...

It all sounds very tiring...but it's good you met everyone and ate lots of cheese :)