Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Will you hold my hand?

I need to go to the eye doctor. I HATE the eye doctor. I’ve been to my share of doctors and I can deal with pretty much everything. Shots? They hurt but I can usually deal with it. Going to the dentist? Fine. I actually enjoy getting my teeth cleaned. But there is one thing that scares the crap out of me.

Getting my eyes dilated.

Seriously. I hate getting those eye drops from the doctor. When I was little I would actually scream and cry hysterically while they tried in vain to do it. I was not a good patient. It’s just awful and I’m so scared about going.

I really need to go to see an eye doctor though. When I was two I got eyeglasses because I was crossed eyed. That’s right. Crossed eye. My right eye was all the way toward my nose. My vision itself was fine, but because it was like that I had a tendency to see double. They gave my eyeglasses to keep my eyes straight.

By the time I was 12 my eyes had actually fixed themselves. I no longer needed to wear glasses! It was awesome! Best of all that meant no more eye doctor! The only thing was I just had to go back every few years to make sure everything was still working.

It’s about that time to go back. Normally I would put it off because I hate those drops so much, but I need to. I fear that I might be going cross-eyed again. This past week my eyes have been killing me, so much so that I have a constant headache. I think the problem may be the fact that I am sitting in front of a computer 9 hours a day, 5 days a week.

I think my eyes are getting too strained and if they weaken too much my eye will start to go inward again. This occasionally happens. When I really tired I will feel them cross, but usually a good nights sleep will solve the problem. Now that I’m always in front of the computer reading small print all the time, I think my eyes are just constantly tired. No amount of sleep is making them feel any better.

Worst-case scenario is that I will need reading glasses when I am at work. No big deal. I’m not worried that I will need glasses again; I’m worried about those damn eye drops!

How pathetic am I?

My question for you is: Is there a doctor that you always fear going to? Why or why not?

2 comments:

erin - heart in ireland said...

I don't mind the eye doctor at all, though I hate the glaucoma test (the puff of air). I HATE the dentist with a passion! Even after years of braces and such the dentist is the place I least want to be!

Karen said...

I am with Erin. I hate the dentist.

But I have "computer" glasses that I use at work. Nothing major. I don't even wear them all the time.