Tuesday, May 12, 2009


My procedure on my foot was a little more intense than I was expecting it to be. Started on Thursday when the hospital called to tell me I wasn’t allowed to eat or drink anything after midnight. You don’t normally have to do that unless you are getting surgery. Well guess what. I basically had surgery on Friday. I was not very happy.

I thought this would be a quick thing, in and out of the hospital in an hour. Nope I had to check in at 10 am and I didn’t get home until almost 5 pm. Since I wasn’t prepared to go under or anything like that I was a mess. I was crying hysterically while they gave me an IV. Which is really embarrassing. The nurse told me I should never have kids. lol. Thanks a lot lady!

I don’t do well with IVs. I think they are very painful. To prepare I always get this cream on my hands to help ease the pain. Since I didn’t know I was getting an IV I wasn’t able to do that this time. Which made the tears come down even harder. After the IV I calmed down a little but I was still pretty upset. I just didn’t want to be there.

Also I was starving. All I could think about was food. Delicious food. I wanted it to be done so I can go home and eat!

Finally they wheeled me down to the operating room. I meet my anesthesiologist and he look just like Bill Bob Thornton! He even talked like him, which was kinda weird. He gave me some meds and I was basically asleep before I was in the room.

When I woke up my foot was KILLING me. Oh man did it hurt. They gave me something to help the pain and lots of ice was packed on my foot. I also woke up feeling really sick. When I was able to get out of recovery and back up to the holding room they gave me a roll and some ginger ale. It tasted delicious but because I was nauseous I ended up throwing up. TMI sorry. I couldn’t keep any food down! So now I was hungry and sick all at once. Not a good combo.

Since I was sick they wouldn’t let me leave right away. I had to feel better. An hour later I was cleared to go home. Luckily I didn’t need crutches or anything I just had to wear a little boot on my foot. It hurt really bad to walk though.

I got home and felt a lot better. Being home always seems to do that. The rest of the weekend was spent with me on the couch, icing my foot and taking some medicine. I was in pain but it wasn’t too terrible.

I went in to work yesterday which was a bad idea. It took like 30 minutes to walk 6 blocks. I was in a lot of pain and I felt sick again. I tried to stay as long as I could but after I puked in the bathroom (TMI again) I decided I needed to go home. Which is why I didn’t post yesterday.

I feel a lot better today but I think I might actually be sick. Which sucks and is really bad timing. I did make it into work so that was good. I’m walking better and better every day and hopefully when I see the doctor on Thursday I won’t have to wear this boot anymore!

The doctor said I shouldn’t expect to see any real results for a while with my foot. But I will let you know how my progress is going and if this whole thing was worth it!


Karen said...

Oh man! You would absolutely die if you were me. A temporary IV pic-line is nothing. For transfusions you need the large artery IV and then I got a port in my chest so that I could go home with and get outpatient treatment. I had that thing in my chest for 3 weeks before they pulled it out.

Sorry it was a hectic day, but at least you are on the road to recovery.

Miss Merry said...

WHEW! Sounds rough. Hope you get to feeling better soon!!!