Friday, September 5, 2008

Let’s talk about politics

No wait! Don’t leave yet! This isn’t a post about who I love and hate and why. This is just about the election in general. Some things have been bothering me a lot lately with everything that’s going on. First I will say that I am not telling you who I will be voting for. One because I actually haven’t decided, I keep switching back and forth. Secondly because I don’t think it’s anyone’s business who I vote for. There is a reason why you walk behind that curtain to place your vote. When did it become acceptable to tell everyone whom you are voting for and when you tell that person that you don’t really feel like telling them they actually get mad at you? Don’t get me wrong I’m all for people expressing their opinions. I am a huge fan of the first amendment and I don’t believe in censorship, but I do believe in respecting people.

If you want to tell people voluntarily whom you are voting for and why, go ahead. I think it’s great that we can freely express our opinions and talk about things like that. That’s what makes this country so great. I feel like people tend to forget how lucky we are that we can do this. The fact that we can share, disagree, debate, and freely express ourselves is amazing. However if a person doesn’t want to share or if they happen to disagree with your views I believe that the person should still be respected, not attacked. I also believe that you should hear the person out, even if you disagree. It’s all about equal coverage. Which brings me to my point.

Last night while watching the RNC there were some disruptions during John McCain’s speech. I think that was in really bad taste. He deserved equal coverage. Just because you disagree with him doesn’t mean it’s okay to make a scene like that. American people deserved the right to hear him out and what he had to say, without being disrupted. How else can people come to an informed decision about who to vote for? I believe in getting all the facts before making a choice like that. Which is why I haven’t made my decision yet. I am learning toward one, but I’m taking my time. I still have plenty of it. Again I don’t mind that someone there disagreed with him, but there are better ways to get your point across. If anything he just made people pay more attention to the speech. Made them more interested in learning about John McCain and what he stands for. Both parties deserve equal coverage.

That is why America is so great, to get all this information and not have something slanted. Which is why I think blogs are so great. People have the opportunity to freely express who they are voting for and why. While I’m sure we don’t all agree with one another, I am seeing that everyone (for the most part) are respecting the people’s posts and not attacking them for their thoughts.

It gives me hope that no matter who wins, things will start changing in the country for the better. And no matter what, we are first and foremost American citizens and we will always stand beside one another.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't watch last night but I do think that everyone deserves a fair shot without interruption.

Cam said...

Thanks for the advice! I hope things start looking up job-wise for you too! Until then, here's to crappy jobs!!! :)