Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A new leaf

Yesterday I mentioned that I had taken Friday off. What I forgot to say was how many jobs I applied to. Usually when the weekend comes I am so sick of looking at a computer that I don’t even turn it on. Since it was Friday and not technically the weekend I had no problem turning on my computer and applying to job after job. It was great! I felt so productive. Now? I am worried that no one will get in touch with me. Which, lets face it, is a serious possibility with the entire country in turmoil right now. Even though I know this, I can’t help but take it personally when no one replies back to me. There used to be a time (way before mine) that no matter what, someone would get back to you. Even if it was just to tell you they weren’t interested. Now with the Internet and thousands of applicants that’s not the case anymore. I still wish it were. I take almost everything personally, especially someone not getting back to me.

I really need thicker skin. If this keeps up I will get discouraged easily and stop applying for jobs. That’s the last thing I want to do. Any tips on how to keep my head up? Or how to stand out to potential employers?

All in all, I just want to get on with the next chapter in my life. For some reason I feel like it will be great. I didn’t feel this way before when I first started applying for jobs. I don’t know why but it just feels different and I know I won’t make the same mistakes. I’ll just make new ones, and I can’t wait for it!

It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.
~Alan Cohen

3 comments:

Karen said...

I applied to more than 300 jobs before I got my position. It was crazy. But it is what you have to do. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Ack! 300 applications?!? That comment makes me nervous.

I'm starting to apply for jobs too right now and it's hard to know how to stand out and get called in for an interview. I would just try your best to emphasize all of your experience and your enthusiasm. Good luck!

Carolyn said...

You applied to 300 jobs?!?!?! I am now freaking out. lol. It's a little comforting, but mostly is freaks me out.