Tuesday, July 1, 2008

What do you do when your future stares right at you?

I'm in a bit of a conundrum. My boss occasionally sends out e-mails of new job openings in the office. I usually just ignore them because the last thing I want to do it apply for a position I'm lukewarm about and have to commit myself to at least another year of working at a place I do not like. Today my boss IMed me asking if I got his recent e-mail about the job posting. I didn't want to say yes but there is no way I am applying so I just replied back with a cool "Yep". But seeing through my move he asked if I had any interest in the position? He had stumped me; I had no idea how to reply back. I just wrote back "Not sure" and then I typed, "I have to think about it" To which he told me to "think quickly." Obviously my boss wants me to apply for the position, which I am deeply flattered by. The new position is basically what I am doing now but I have a little more power in the whole process and my hours would be 9-6 instead of 10-7 which is a major plus. I'm not sure how different the salary would be but it would defiantly be more then the pathetic salary I am making now. Making this offer very tempting to me.

The downside? I know that this is not the career for me. This is not what I want to be doing for the rest of my life. While it would make me a little happier and would take the stress away from me having to look for a new job, I am still settling. What should I do? So I go for it to by myself some time? Or pass it up like all the others and look for something that truly interests me? The thing is if I go for this job and get it, I will basically be agreeing to working for this company for at least another year. I'm not sure if I can last that long. I know deep down I should just bite the bullet and start looking for a job elsewhere but something is preventing me from doing that. Am I setting myself up to be miserable? That's what I feel like I'm doing. Or maybe its just fear of the future and of the unknown. Either way I need to take a look inside and see what I should do. Any thoughts??

No comments: